nafex - Re: [nafex] Moving An Apple Tree

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Moving An Apple Tree
  • Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 10:18:39 -0700

You can do it - just work at it. The tree I moved was bigger than what you
describe and I did it myself. I dug it loose, backed the truck to it, and
tipped it in. Wrapped the roots with plastic, closed the canopy and took
off.
----------
>From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
>To: nafex@egroups.com
>Subject: Re: [nafex] Moving An Apple Tree
>Date: Sun, Jul 9, 2000, 8:09 AM
>

>Hello,
>
>The tree won't be moved until it is dormant, and there is no hope of getting
>large equipment to where it is situated. That means a totally manual move,
>with
>no hydraulic equipment. Anyone selling a truss? 8^O
>
>Tom
>
>"Lon J. Rombough" wrote:
>
>> Fastest, easiest way (but not cheapest) is to hire a company that uses one
>> of those giant diggers with the four blades that go down around the roots
>> and lift the tree with a giant root ball. Especially if you are going to
>> move it now. Moving it while it is active means a LOT of work - you have
>> take a huge soil ball with it and might be more work than you want. I've
>> moved trees that big when they were dormant quite easily. Takes a lot of
>> digging to get as many roots as you can, and you should have the hole ready
>> before you dig the tree, but survival is much better. I moved a single
>> apple tree with a root mass big enough to fill the bed of a pickup that
>> way.
>> I had a canopy over the truck bed, which protected it in the 20 mile
>> drive.
>> When I got there, it took a few minutes to adjust the hole, then I backed
>> up to the hole and slid the tree out, right into it. Piled in dirt and
>> watered the heck out of it to settle it. That was over 20 years ago and
>> the
>> tree is stil one of the most vigorous on the place.
>> -Lon Rombough
>> ----------
>> >From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
>> >To: nafex@egroups.com
>> >Subject: [nafex] Moving An Apple Tree
>> >Date: Sun, Jul 9, 2000, 6:24 AM
>> >

>> >Hello,
>> >
>> >My neighbor has offered me an apple tree that is about 3" in
>> >diameter, 7' tall, with a later spread that is about 10'.
>> >He is putting in a utility shed, and the tree is in the way,
>> >he is willing to wait till September so the tree has a
>> >better chance.
>> >
>> >I have never moved a tree of this size, what is the best
>> >method to move it, with the least shock to the tree? Any
>> >suggestions on how to prepare the spot it is moving to?
>> >
>> >He is just going to cut it down otherwise.
>> >
>> >Thanks in advance.
>> >
>> >Regards,
>> >Tom
>> >
>> >--
>> >Thomas Olenio
>> >Ontario, Canada
>> >Hardiness Zone 6a

>> >Win A Handyman ...and make him fix up your place!
>> >http://click.egroups.com/1/6288/0/_/423498/_/963148954/

>> Experience MSN...
>> Get 1 FREE* month of unlimited Internet access!
>
>--
>Thomas Olenio
>Ontario, Canada
> [...]

Need some home improvement repairs done? Win A Guy and make him do it!
http://click.egroups.com/1/6293/0/_/423498/_/963162908/