nafex - Re: [nafex] Moving An Apple Tree

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Moving An Apple Tree
  • Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 07:17:38 -0700

Fastest, easiest way (but not cheapest) is to hire a company that uses one
of those giant diggers with the four blades that go down around the roots
and lift the tree with a giant root ball. Especially if you are going to
move it now. Moving it while it is active means a LOT of work - you have to
take a huge soil ball with it and might be more work than you want. I've
moved trees that big when they were dormant quite easily. Takes a lot of
digging to get as many roots as you can, and you should have the hole ready
before you dig the tree, but survival is much better. I moved a single
apple tree with a root mass big enough to fill the bed of a pickup that way.
I had a canopy over the truck bed, which protected it in the 20 mile drive.
When I got there, it took a few minutes to adjust the hole, then I backed
up to the hole and slid the tree out, right into it. Piled in dirt and
watered the heck out of it to settle it. That was over 20 years ago and the
tree is stil one of the most vigorous on the place.
-Lon Rombough
----------
>From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
>To: nafex@egroups.com
>Subject: [nafex] Moving An Apple Tree
>Date: Sun, Jul 9, 2000, 6:24 AM
>

>Hello,
>
>My neighbor has offered me an apple tree that is about 3" in
>diameter, 7' tall, with a later spread that is about 10'.
>He is putting in a utility shed, and the tree is in the way,
>he is willing to wait till September so the tree has a
>better chance.
>
>I have never moved a tree of this size, what is the best
>method to move it, with the least shock to the tree? Any
>suggestions on how to prepare the spot it is moving to?
>
>He is just going to cut it down otherwise.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Regards,
>Tom
>
>--
>Thomas Olenio
>Ontario, Canada
>Hardiness Zone 6a

>Win A Handyman ...and make him fix up your place!

Experience MSN...
Get 1 FREE* month of unlimited Internet access!
http://click.egroups.com/1/6323/0/_/423498/_/963152036/