msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] BackPack Question

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Lila Corey" <Caballera@embarqmail.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] BackPack Question
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 08:46:02 -0400

Just wanted to say I am back from the wilderness SAR and survival weekend. Thanks to all for your suggestions. It was a great learning experience. It was very well planned. We had an equipment check, had to build "tent" in less than 15 minutes, build a fire without matches or lighter and extinguishing it afterwards, had a lecture on edible fauna and flora in the area by the park ranger, manuevers during the day to find points on the map and at night also. Then on Sun. we had instruction on field expedient high lines. I was totally exhausted, but glad to have participated. The pack worked well, after some adjustments with the straps, and I never had any issues with back pain or shoulder pain. I did not have time to get a mat to sleep on, that I WILL have next week. Other than that, my equipment worked well. And as luck would have it, bright and early Monday morning, we got called out on a search. The subject was found but unfortunately not a good ending. Can't believe after all the walking this past weekend I wasn't sore anywhere. Thanks again.

Lila
----- Original Message ----- From: "Una Smith" <una.smith@att.net>