msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] BackPack Question

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Lila Corey" <Caballera@embarqmail.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] BackPack Question
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 19:44:37 -0400

Thanks guys for all the help with backpacks and equip. I made it through the weekend. What a great training exercise we had. Very well planned. What I learned other than better nav skills: I need more practice - and need to be in better physical condition. We "hiked" over 10-12 miles with all our gear night and day ....so my weekly goal is to hike on my land minimum of 2x week with full gear. ( I reminded the rest of my team which are the technical rescuers, that I now know another reason for riding my horse!:) We learned how to fish with little prep and supplies, and cleaning and cooking them. We had a park ranger give us a lesson on flora and fauna in the area edible or not. My pack worked well once I got the adjustments right for me, and the equipment adjustments you guys recommended. We were timed on making tents that would keep us out of the elements and we started fires without matches or lighters. All of that I had already practiced so I did well with those. And Sunday we had some ropes training and use of ropes and stokes baskets to retrieve victims from ravines or rivers. Thanks for all your advice. As a precaution I did take 3 flashlights- one small that incorporates a whisle, and a light stick with it, one good LED with the duct tape around it to tape my "tarp tent" if needed, and my headlamp with red and white light. I dumped all the other stuff you recommended and never needed or regretted it. Didn't have time to pick up a foam pad that someone suggested, but I WILL add that item next time.
Lila
----- Original Message ----- From: "Una Smith" <una.smith@att.net>