msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Starting a MSAR team

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Helen Cunningham <stormyandme@gmail.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Starting a MSAR team
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:04:15 -0500

Hi Derek,

I am working on the equine certification requirements for a mounted unit for a search and rescue team that I am on because our team consists primarily of K-9 handlers. The main requirement we have agreed on thus far is that all mounted personnel must be SARTECH II certifed (through NASAR, the National Association of Search and Rescue) before they can be mounted searchers. All searchers as well as K-9s that are operational must be certified before they can participate in a any real search. Since there are already K-9 standards, I am going to model our certifications to parallel that format, though they obviously will have different requirements. I will be glad to share what I have when I finish it which will be soon. I will also have a bibliography with it.

There are some excellent web sites that I have found useful and also I highly recommend a book by Kathy Roberts called Mounted Training: a manual for mounted search and resuce and mounted law enforcement. You can order it through NASAR's website.

I agree with Barbara's suggestions and that is the reason our team requires that all operational personnel be certifed at least to the SARTECH II level. By insisting on some level of training completion, you will eliminate those that just want to have fun or just ride.

Best of luck,
Helen Cunningham