msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Starting a MSAR team

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Starting a MSAR team
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 16:15:21 -0700

Hi, Derek -
I think you'd find that the contemporary expectation for MSAR is to train
the riders as ground searchers, and add knowledge, skills and abilities
regarding searching from the saddle. This includes demonstrating the mount
is reliable, etc., and the rider needs appropriate riding skills. National /
International standards do not yet exist for MSAR, but you can get started
with some good ideas online from
http://emainehosting.com/masar/standards.htm

Part of adding a resource is knowing how to use that resource effectively.
You're welcome to visit my web site and read some of my published articles
that are mostly directed toward educating management but also good for MSAR
riders to know. www.ceoates.com/msar

One of the most important mind sets for the mounted searcher is to remember
they are on a search, not a trail ride with social chatter. (Similar in
concept to hiking instead of being focused on searching.) Also, the mounted
searcher trained to "look where the horse (or mule) looks" takes advantage
of the equine search partner's natural awareness, and increases the search
capabilities of each horse and rider partnering.

After the riders have "basic training" as searchers, consider getting
training for your riders in evacuating someone in the saddle - a valuable
option when the situation is appropriate. Another good training option is
riders learning to track from the saddle, or at least being Mounted Tracking
Aware. Your riders may also be interested in training the mount to follow
the scent and Alert, much like a search dog, instead of relying only on the
natural equine behavior.

Jorene Downs
SAR & CERT
Mounted SAR