msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] horses

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Fi" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] horses
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 21:21:48 -0400

Una is 100% on target!

Unlike many mounted groups whose members can simply apply online or in person, instantly become a member without any Equestrianism skills ever tested, our team has a formal horse and rider evaluation (HRE) test. We test the horse and rider in nearly 3 dozen different skill categories. A spooky horse would never make it through an HRE.
In a competition sized riding ring we first test one horse/rider at a time as they go through a series obstacles and challenges, then if that section is successfully completed we move from of the ring to test their skills out on the trail. Our HRE test is pretty much in line with proposed ASTM (Draft) MSAR Horsemanship requirements and also meets the State of Virginia MSAR Equine Standards <www.vasarco.org>. The HRE testing will weed out those horse and riders who are not suited for MSAR.

T'mi
www.trotsar.org
una.smith@att.net wrote:

Joan Pottinger

extremely spooky and that's the one she wants to use for msar.

Joan, just say no. No way. That doesn't mean throw her off the team, and
it doesn't necessarily mean don't let her train with you. BUT, you can and
I suggest you should refuse to participate in any SAR field task assignment
with anyone riding an extremely spooky horse.

Every member of every field team has an obligation to themselves foremost,
their field team mates, other SAR responders, and the subject, to work in a
safe manner.

Una