msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] horses

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Joan Pottinger" <j.pottinger@insightbb.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] horses
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 21:11:17 -0400

Una, I totally agree with you. Up until about the past three years I never met people, who after they found out the horse they were riding, wasn't up to snuff, (head issues) would say oh I'll just keep him/her. Most of these people have probably less than 5 years of saddle time, horse ownership, what have you. I just can't figure it out. I'm not a horse trainer nor do I profess to be. I'm not out to keep a horse that is questionable every time I take it out. Meaning will I have a nice enjoyable ride today or will I go flying through the air. I don't know. Maybe it's the years in me, but hey, if I can't ride a calm enjoyable horse I'm not keeping it. Got rid of one like that and have never regretted a moment of that decision. I don't have the time, skill or desire for training a horse. 9 years when I bought my horse he had a 'bad owner' issue that I had to learn to deal with, because other than that, he was wonderful!! Didn't spook at anything!!! Same day in day out. He had and still does have at the ripe old age of 14 a good head on his shoulders. His previous 15 year old owner thought it was fun to get into his stall and whip him and tease him to no end and then couldn't understand why after a while he would start charging at her whenever she would even approach the stall. Dealt with the charging for awhile because as soon as you could get his halter he was totally different. You would never have thought it was the same horse. Now why would I buy a horse like this? Didn't know about the charging bit until I bought him. The lady who picked him up recognized the horse. He and his previous owner used to be in her 4h drill team until she put her out. I've thought about getting another one because he is tall and I'm not and my back is getting worse. Found out if I wear stretch pants I can really move and bring that foot on up to the stirrup with ease:-) My back issue only matters when I go to raise my foot all the way up to the saddle. After that, decided when Spot retires THEN will I start looking for another horse. Would have loved to have found another breeding of his lineage but never could. Wanted that same brainy horse:-)

Joan and her Zoo Crew

----- Original Message ----- From: <una.smith@att.net>