msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] horses

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Joan Pottinger" <j.pottinger@insightbb.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] horses
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 18:49:41 -0400

This is what I consider a well mannered horse. They should never offer to kick. They should never get bent out of shape whenever another horse comes in their vicinity. Many in my group deal with green broke horses that haven't been exposed to a lot and feel their just fine. Me I don't agree. If your horse is a kicker, the kind that will back up to kick another horse, this horse should never be used around other horses. But they don't see it that way. In my other riding group, it's common trail knowledge if your horse is a kicker you tie a red ribbon to the tail. That lets anyone know coming up to you or pass you what to expect. We have one horse that is extremely spooky and that's the one she wants to use for msar.

I feel I was very, very blessed by my choice of horses nine years ago. He isn't a dead head, but he certainly has shown me over and over again how smart he really is. It's like he is totally confident in himself and acts like he doesn't need to get all bent out of shape for anything. He's spicy and prancy and very showy but can stay tied up to a trailer and never act like he has been anywhere else in his whole life but right there. He does get ancy if his barn buddy leaves, but he grows out of that. Most things he treats with the attitude he can either take it or leave it.

Does height ever seem to be hinderance to people out in woody areas when searching? I'm assuming we're not searching on trails but off in the woods and off the beaten path which is another thing I'm thankful of my horse. Learned that not every can find their way back. In the nine years I've owned him, he has never once led me wrong. Of course if he is used to any area he knows where he came from. But if it's first time out for him, he knows how to get back.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pennbo's" <pennbo@verizon.net>