msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Training

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Joan Pottinger" <j.pottinger@insightbb.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Training
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:07:03 -0400

I agree that probably alot of this is subjective and that's why when I present this to my group they have a clear picture, like when I say 'well mannered' horse they have a picture in their mind and it has to be the same picture of what a well mannered horse is.

Una, I like your bit about 'you work as you train and you train for the conditions in you intend to work'.

The area I live in except for Louisville is basically all hills. Some high some not, but the terrain is basically hilly and rocky. The further East you go of Louisville you will start to find more houses, building, etc are built on hills because the town is nothing but hills. You're either going up a hill or coming down a hill and I don't guess they wanted to use a bulldozer and level out places. They wanted to leave things natural. Ummm what a novel idea!!!

There a couple of us that use borium on every shoeing because we usually at some point ride on pavement and alot on rocks and across creeks. We think level ground is a luxury!! Most of our riding are in Forest such as Daniel Boone National Forest and Hoosier National Forest and Mammoth Cave. Yes we have gone into a cave before. Some horses would after another horse went. Some wouldn't go period. I believe what you say your horse has to trust you. I took my horse and with just a little prodding he just went right on in and didn't seem to be the least bit scared once he got in there. With that said, we were in the Pegasus Parade and we were stopped underneath a major overpass and it was dark. He wasn't real sure about that and I could feel it. I just made him do a couple of turns and back up a few times, just to take his mind off the situation and make him do something he was used to. When we stopped he just stood there. No more spookiness and he is not one to spook at anything but spray or a flag. Oh yeah, if there is orange fluorescent on the ground we check it out very carefully!!! After all ya never know whenever one of those fluorescent numbers might chase ya:-)

----- Original Message ----- From: <una.smith@att.net>