msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Training

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: MSAR <msar@ibiblio.org>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Training
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 10:14:36 -0400

Joan Pottinger wrote:
>I agree that probably alot of this is subjective and that's why when I
>present this to my group they have a clear picture, like when I say 'well
>mannered' horse they have a picture in their mind and it has to be the same
>picture of what a well mannered horse is.

Each MSAR unit really does need to define these qualities for themselves.

Parts of New Mexico are heavily wooded. There, well mannered includes
ties to anything. Parts of New Mexico are grassland, huge cattle grazing
pastures, where the only thing to tie to for miles may be cholla cactus.
There, well mannered includes *ground ties* or at least stays put wearing
hobbles. In some other places, well mannered means the horse can be held
safely by another rider when the rider dismounts to do some task on foot.

So, what is the last word in well mannered, in your neck of the woods?

Una