msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Training

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo's <pennbo@verizon.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Training
  • Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 21:16:58 -0700

What type of conditions will you not ride in?

Every mission you go on your group should choose a safety officer whose job it is to decide if the conditions etc are too dangerous. We are still struggling with this. We have ridden in rain, snow, ice (with appropriate shoeing)- but the worst has been searing sun with no shade. We've also gotten stuck in some VERY dangerous terrain that we should've backed out of immediately. Picking a strong personality who is cognizant of the capabilities of everyone in your group is a great safety measure!!!

How far do you go for a rescue?

We've trailed as far as 200 miles. Our county is huge and we can be called anywhere - we are also called for searches in neighboring counties. Since we live on the top of a mountain everything that is off the mountain is a minimum of an hour away. However some of the wilderness locations (dirt roads) in our area are an hour or more away - while closer in distance.

Do you search rural, urban, city?

Yes. All of the above. Some of our group will search without mounts and some won't. I do it all. Add wilderness to that list as well. I want to be of use to the search so I will do just about anything I'm asked. The Sheriff's Department is usually in charge of searches in this area and so generally you must present authorization in order to work. I am learning as much as I can about command post duties so that I can help there when horseless.

If a person is lost in the city would you join in the search?

Yes - have done so. We have also used our horses in the city- drainages, parks, empty fields, etc. Anywhere that a higher vantage point could help. I've also foot searched and vehicle searched. It's not my favorite because some of the areas we are called to are rather rough and we are unarmed. We backed out of one neighborhood quickly after hearing gun shots. We are not prepped for that type of incident!!

Good luck with everything!
Chris Pennington