msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] finding them

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] finding them
  • Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 11:54:06 -0500

Nobody in this endeavor cares who finds the subject, although it is often a
matter of pride that one of "your" members made the save. We once had a foot
person spot the subject after an experienced dog team passed him by and
there was no end of interaction, but the find was the thing.

I hate to be cynical but the interaction I have had with groups that provide

"search expertise" and "family counseling" versus actual field work has
usually centered around money, not the subject. Such groups are usually
well funded, spend money on PR and toys, but rarely put trained personnel of
their own in the field, and most often are on searches hundreds of miles
from home.

We have never had a problem raising spontaneous volunteers from the
community or volunteer fire companies, or even scouts and the CAP for live
subjects. Personally, I try to avoid putting live persons at risk for dead
ones, especially untrained community personnel.

Maybe we should start a referral service-- out of town search managers
provided to your local community. It reminds me of the definition of an
expert- has a briefcase (or PowerPoint), traveled over 100 miles, and
charges you by minute.

Irv Lichtenstein