msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] job security

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Charles L. Sparke" <clsnv@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] job security
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 20:14:45 -0800

Nevada has a series of state laws relating to this.  Covers volunteer SAR, firefighters, Law Enforcement reserves and EMT's.  The employer can't fire an employee for participation in any of those as long as the employee notified the employeer that they were a member of one of them prior to the activation.  Only state govt. employees have to be released with pay (Admin leave), all others up to their employer whether pay or not.  Doesn't specifically address whether the employer HAS to release you from work for an activation.  In reality, would be kind oa hard on some employers to mandate that (i.e. one of members is the only person working at the local conveinience store at night - who's going to run the place while he's gone?)  Most of our members work at the local prison (state govt.).  Because they are always shorthanded, our members don't even try to get released when their at work.  The Unit Commander calls the Warden (or LT on duty at night) and "asks" if any of our members can be released.  Occassionally we'll be allowed one or two people.

Charles Sparke
SARTECH II, EMT-B
Pershing County Search and Rescue, Inc.
Lovelock, NV