msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Horse instinct

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Horse instinct
  • Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 17:15:40 -0500

Herd behavior seems to be the key. A horse won’t run through you if there is a way around simply because it is easier and faster to run away that way. If you are not the dominant partner you can get pushed around by your animal or others in the pack.  There is a very mouthy gelding who is number 2 in my horse’s paddock. He has no respect for anyone other than #1 and it takes a very aggressive move to push him off.  While I can relax around mine you cannot ever forget who is number 1 in the herd, and it better be you.

Many years ago when he was about 3 a wrangler came a little close with a buggy whip while moving him and a herd where he was not number one.  A few days later he accidentally bumped that wrangler with his rear as he went by and flattened him, just once.  On the other hand there was a mare whose only fun was running down or through people whenever a gate was opened. She went to the auction after trying to train her out of it.