msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Horse Instinct

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Mustang Blue <mustang_blue_wy@yahoo.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Horse Instinct
  • Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 09:34:31 -0800 (PST)

I'll add my two cents :)
As an adoptor and mentor of wild horses (BLM) I would like to add that you are basically correct.  A horse, wild or domestic is a prey animal, and it's instincts lie in 2 basic areas...Flight or Fight. And the understanding of their natural instincts are instramental in the gentling and training of a once wild horse, and even with domestics.  Given the chance, a horse would prefer to take flight and run in the face of danger or perceived danger, especially in the wild, but when and if they feel cornered or threatened and are unable to run, they will defend themselves as well as their herd.  In a domestic situation, where the horse never learned the natuarl instinct and never saw it's human counterpart as a preditor, those natural instincts can sometimes be comprimised, as with some stallions, or spoiled horses, which may become agressive in order to gain a want...be it food, to be left alone, or to get attention.
I hope this offers you some insight and if you have more questions, feel free to email me privately.  I can also get you in contact with a Biologist to support what I have written.

Learn more about wild horses at:
www.whmentors.org
www.iwhba.org

Lona in WY