msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Horsemanship

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Ms Teri Oliver <terilynne3@yahoo.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Horsemanship
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 08:25:29 -0400

[Deleted HTML duplicate. -Una]

>From what I know of training...give and take..which is all leg aides
>are...is something that is easily taught. My mare was 12 when I started
>teaching her. I bought her from an auction at the age of about 10 and was
>training her for western pleasure. She took to everything with ease, save
>her right lead...she would cross-lead before taking her hind lead. We have
>determined she has a bone spur in her hind fetlock that aggravates her
>ligaments and tendons and causes swelling. Thus she keeps that hoof short
>stepped so she doesn't pull on those.

If your horse doesn't have buttons...which mine doesn't...she is a horse
and she responds to cues, albiet sometimes easier than others, probably due
to her age and stubborness, then you can easily teach. However, I must
stress this!

I trust my horse in any situation. We have gone over, around, under,
through and whatnot things that other horses wouldn't. She trusts me and I
trust her judgment. When she absolutely refuses, I know there is a reason
why; safety. We are not part of a MSAR because there isn't one around here,
but I have no doubt, that even without her "buttons" of automation, she would
be an outstanding MSAR horse because of her togetherness with me. I point
somewhere and she knows what I mean and she goes. She is a part of me as I am
her. She will be with me until she dies as long as I have anything to say
about it. You don't find many "soul" horses. She is only the second one I
have ever encountered in my 35 yrs of owning horses.

I guess the moral of the story is...KNOW YOUR HORSE inside and out. Aides
and cues are a need and a necessity, but if your horse doesn't have
automation such as a dressage horse..do not fret. You can still MSAR. And
remember, knowledge isn't eternal, it is always expanding and forever
advancing...and that includes your knowledge of your horse.

Take care all and don't forget to hug your horse!!
Terilynne

http://equinedetectionservices.com/clinics_&_training.htm