msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Horsemanship

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Terry Nowacki" <wwfarm@wiktel.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Horsemanship
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 08:54:15 -0500

James said -> The skill/ ability to open gates while mounted is certainly a
good skill
> for the horse/rider to have, but why make in mandatory. Really, how
> often is opening the gate while mounted required?

Hi James
I agree that it would not be very often that gates would really be required
to be opened on horseback.
In my original post I said -Test such as opening gates, using lateral
control,
turning in a small boxs with out touching the sides are all horsemanship
test
designed to see if total body control can be achieved.
The idea for the gate obstacle in 4-H and other horsemanship test is only to
set up a
arena situation where horsemanship skills can be tested and judged. Trust me
most 4-Hs kids that go through this type of testing a yearly basis may
never have
to open a gates in real life either.

I belive Jorene explained it best a couple of post back in a reply to a post
on this
subject. See Jorene explanation below.

TER

Jorene typed -