msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Horsemanship

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Horsemanship
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 14:02:50 -0400

While it is laudable in equitation to have a push button horse each area has
unique problems and solutions. For instance, when riding in a public park
there are either no gates or they are padlocked, making it difficult to open
them from the saddle, even with my 24" master key. Also, many stock gates
around here cannot be opened without operating a snap, a wrap chain, and a
slide handle in combination, assuming the gate is still square in the
opening and off the ground. And show judges mark down for pushbutton rides.

Most road barriers around here are either 3/4" wire rope shackled across
between utility poles or steel bars, some up to 4" square designed to stop
cars and chained and locked. We go around them when possible.

As to narrow passages, even backing up is not always a solution. There are
some trails that are 3 feet wide and some that are 12 feet wide. Taking a
big horse down a narrow trail is not always smart, even with push buttons.
No matter how well trained you need to be able to turn around in a few
backward steps.