msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Horsemanship

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Ms Teri Oliver <terilynne3@yahoo.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Horsemanship
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 15:33:30 -0700 (PDT)

Jorene Downs <Jorene@CEOates.com> wrote:
If someone hasn't trained for this kind of basic control, attempting it for
the first time in the field during a SAR isn't appropriate because the lack
of that control may not be safe in that environment. The basics of lateral
control also help the rider retain / regain control of a mount suddenly
shying sideways.

These are not difficult skills - if they were, all those 4-H
kids wouldn't be able to accomplish them. These are part of the basic
horsemanship skills for trail to increase control, maneuverability and
safety.

trying to teach them something new at that point in time will only
exasperbate the problem. Your horse MUST have an understanding of leg and
weight commands as well as being bridle wise. This doesn't mean push button,
it means, if you need him to move over he/she goes, maybe sluggishly, or
whatnot, but they go. Safety, safety, safety.

You are correct....not difficult and that is what I was trying to say. Do
not fret if your horse isn't leg or weight wise...you can teach easily. Most
horses teach themselves what weight shifting means (ie. lean forward means
go....too far to side means stop, rider may be falling [if horse is moving]
or to stand stock still to do what you need to do). Finesse' of weight
guidance is not needed unless you are competing. Leg commands are nothing but
give and take...you apply pressure...they give...you release. Over and over
until they get the drift where you only have to barely apply pressure (except
for their moody times, lol).

This is where riding classes fail nowadays. I do not teach how to ride, I
teach horsemanship. Anyone who knows the difference, will understand what I
mean.

Terilynne :)