msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR "national" standards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Fi" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR "national" standards
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 19:55:03 -0400

People need to realize that National Standards can not exceed those of State established requirements and ASTM is not a national standard to anyone but themselves. Regardless how much someone wants the create and implement the highest standards possible for everyone, it will not happen due to States Right's. Just because someone in State X wants everyone to perform task 2, someone in State Y does not have to even address task 2 if it does not apply to them in their State. With 49 States now being a partner of EMAC, what one State recognizes/accepts as a SAR resource will be offered as a registered resource to any State requesting such a resource. Mutual aid agreements are generally between local or regional governments and such agreements are in no way controlled by NIMS requirements. Items like credentialing and coordination are the foundations of NIMS. Forcing a State to obtain certifications that are not applicable to them will simply never happen. Response to an emergency begins at a local level and there at that level is where you will find the highest set of standards. Standards become more and more generic/basic as you move towards a national level.
Since the updated version National Response Plan (NRP), including resource typing, is expected to be released in November of this year (a small current list of changes is also available). Within the NRP, MSAR is not listed as a typing resource and seeing national MSAR standards within the NRP will not come to pass for several years, if ever. Keep in mind that ASTM has no more right than NASAR of any other SAR organization to set such requirements except to the rank and file within such an organization. I suggest that anyone wishing to know the truth about NIMS requirements go to the NIMS resource Center and view what is there for themselves.

<http://www.nimsonline.com>

Folks may want to also see just how weak minimum standards really are can take a look at NRP SAR typing resources:

<http://www.nimsonline.com/resource_typing/US&R%20Task%20Forces.htm>
<http://www.nimsonline.com/resource_typing/Wilderness%20Search%20and%20Rescue%20Team.htm>

If we as a MSAR community can ever agree on what minimum standards are really about, then and only then will we ever have a chance at establishing a nationally recognized MSAR resource. I am sure some folks will disagree, but personally I believe that with EMAC now one of the few National standards in the United States ( Hawaii excluded), any State with established MSAR standards and who has MSAR resources, those (State recognized) resource meet equivalent of national standards.

I would be happy to chat with anyone off list regarding this topic.

Tomi`
TROTSAR Mounted Team
Maryland

Jorene Downs wrote:

Regardless, ASTM F2209 has already been identified a part of the requirements for meeting the pending ASTM standards for the mounted searcher. So folks who want to meet ASTM national standards for MSAR will also need to meet ASTM F2209. Also, to meet federal NIMS requirements, folks who want to respond mutual aid are expected to meet national standards for that resource type ... and ASTM is recognized de facto as the source for national SAR standards.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
www.ceoates.com/msar