msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Horse alerts

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Patty Montoya" <riverrider@bak.rr.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Horse alerts
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 19:33:51 -0800

Someone questioned whether the horses heard or smelled the subject. We don't really know. He was in fact stationary for at least an hour or more and so the smell may have "built up". More likely, he was fidgeting from the hypothermia. I know the searchers who discovered him said he was very 'agitated' and didn't want to be touched when they were attempting to dry him and help get him warm. As someone mentioned, horses are very sensitive and we've all seen them flick their ears to the slightest rustle of leaves in a tree twenty yards away. Although this can be irritating when you are trying to get their attention, it can be very helpful in discovering clues or evidence. One of the first things I was taught when I joined the MSAR unit was to USE my horse, not just ride him. That's why they call us a team.
As far as the water crossing...the subject was found within a hundred yards of the river, but it would have been eight miles over rough terrain to carry him out on a horse or a litter. As I said, the weather didn't allow for a helicopter and Off road vehicles couldn't make it up through the snow and steep terrain. (We sometimes think that ORV can go anywhere, but there are a lot of areas in the back country that are simple inaccessible, and this was one of them.) So the river crossing, although not a great choice, was basically the only choice. If the weather had been clear, or just raining, it probably would have been handled differently. But the doctors later told us that his internal organs had already begun to shut down, so even with a helicopter, it probably would have been too late. It has taught us that no matter how hard you train and try to cover every situation...some new twist can show up.
It probably should be mentioned that the subject had dementia and had told someone that he was going to a "pack station" in the area. But he was dressed in summer clothing. We have also learned through experience that dementia and alzheimer patients can really travel long distances.
Patty

----- Original Message ----- From: "Una Smith" <una.smith@att.net>