msar-riders - [MSAR] Horse alerts

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Horse alerts
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 07:48:37 -0700

philip easley wrote:
>We did a massive mock search. Every mounted posse member
>that went by the roll players that were just sitting in the brush just off
>the trail said each horse would try and look at them and the rider would
>scold the horse and yank the head back around to the trail and would spur
>them on.

Meaning, the hiding search subjects saw the horses spot them?
But the riders were oblivious? That has been my experience too,
on multiple occasions. Being a search subject, you *know* when
you've been spotted: it raises the hairs on the name of your
neck.

I think every MSAR team should get basic training in both scent
theory and alerting (noticing) behavior of both dogs and horses.
Contact your local K9 teams for this.