msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] WARNING LABELS!

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: philip easley <easleyranch@foothill.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] WARNING LABELS!
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 15:58:19 -0500

[Deleted included prior post. -Una]

I believe the warning label is stating that you can still be injured. It is
not saying it will not protect you. When I was on our SED (SWAT) team, I
wore a heavy load bearing Class III Kevlar vest, a Kevlar helmet, protective
eye gear, a nomex bala clava hood, nomex gloves, knee pads, elbow pads,
tactical boots, black or Camio colored fatigue clothing. Despite all I
wore, I could still take a bullet in the face, or have a balloon full of
gasoline hanging from the ceiling burst all over me and burn me to the
ground. I could even have had a high powered rifle bullet go right through
all that gear and still do damage to me. Despite all that, I still
preferred to wear all that cumbersome gear when on a mission. When I used
to ride bulls just out of high school, my career was shortened (thank God)
when I was 19 by a bull when I got hung up and he hooked me in the ribs
several times with his horns (at 48 years old, I still have flash backs and
relive that). I had some damage to my ribs that put me out of work for a
month (I was a horseshoer then). I suffered for a year. That most likely
would have been prevented if I had worn that protective Kevlar padded vest
that bull riders wear now (I tied for third place and barely covered the
cost of the entry fee, torn up shirt, and the bag of ice I had to buy for my
ribs).
Philip Easley
NCSSAR
Nevada City, Ca.