msar-riders - [MSAR] Hobbles

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Hobbles
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:34:34 -0800 (PST)

Has anyone tried this method...instead of hobbles, using their saddle as a
"rock" to tie their horse. If using a western saddle one could dallyoff to
the horn Some horses will ground tie, but perhaps the extra persuation of
the wieght of the saddle may give them just enough tying "power" to stay put
in case of an emergency where you need to leave off your horse and there is
nothing to tie to and you are assisting someone?

When riding english, we usually will have a halter under the bridle with
the leadline looped around the neck of the horse. The tie could then be
adapted to the saddles stirrups when tying off.

Of course I do not recommend this until you have trained enough at home as
you may also find your horse dashing off with your saddle banging about until
he is used to the idea. But in an emergency, it may work for some.

Karen Nesbitt
Illinois - Unaffiliated

PS - just a little something for you dog handlers...great article called
"Wheelchairs for Dogs Offer Chance at an Active Life" from the ACES News
website earns our pick for website of the day!
The complete article can also be found at
http://www.aces.uiuc.edu/news/stories/news3497.html

From: ACES News (http://www.aces.uiuc.edu/news)
College of Agriculture, Consumer and Environmental Sciences
University of Illinois

(While you at their site, sign in for their free newsletters! It's
everything educational and more! )

Have a great day and take care of your critters!

VISIT US AT:
http://kbefarms.bravehost.com/index.html
BLOG ON:
http://spaces.msn.com/members/kbefarms/