msar-riders - [MSAR] MSAR - Unaffiliated Volunteer Illinois

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] MSAR - Unaffiliated Volunteer Illinois
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 14:55:24 -0500

[Deleted HTML duplicate. -Una]

The discussions I have read continue to be most fascinating. Seems to me
there is a huge problem with unity in forming groups simply because for every
horsmen, there is an opinion on proper care, what breed or equipment is best
and whose method is best for tracking what equipment etc. Most horsemen are
adament on their own routines especially if they own their own animals.
Rapore is paramount with the beast they ride or handle and when going one one
one, this is a diverse area. And mind you all the fancy equipment in the
world means sqwat if you do not know how to use it and often surviving can
mean being without. As horsmen we are a diverse group.

Where I might need or have to ride a Paso Fino (or whatever breed I feel
suits me) I would not want to disparage the guy who finds his or her job
is best preformed on another breed whatever breed he or she may ride and
prefer because if that individual can do the job best on that mount wearing
the hat he or she prefers, so be it.) Both of us will always have pros and
cons as to why we chose what we do.

I would think, but forgive me if I am wrong as this is an opinion, the goal
here is to get optimum benefits of the talents of each MSAR rider when coming
together as a team and in how as a TEAM we can get the job done. The goal
of any TEAM is to work together and use those talents best to the ability of
the team. We all have talents. The bottomline is is that if we all don the
SAME UNIFORM, we still are all induividuals underneath. The guy riding a
pinto in a group of black horses is going to stick out like a soar thumb in a
parade, but if he can get the job done should his horse be disparaged for
gait, size or color? I don't thinks so. But a team sure is pretty all
dressed in the same uniform, looking like they came from the same mold, but
ladies, pretty is as pretty does and if the team whether it is dressed to the
nines or not is not functioning then Houston, we all have a problem.

The discussion of pros and cons should be just that, not a tool to tear the
team appart.

From a victims standpoint, a victim could careless if a person in a clown
suit riding a great dane came to the rescue,just as long as there WAS A
rescue or find. Dead or alive, the vitim or victims family wants help and or
closure.

The pooling to talents in a team should be of great importance. It is my
opinion that the object of the MSAR whether it is a team or individual, is
to be of service to help in search and rescue. Finding the victim is helping
the vics, not making a trophy out of him or her.

And as ever, politics, funding etc has a great tendency to further muddy up
the water and the first thing that starts out on everyones mind often becomes
the very last thing we think of. When I volunteered for my first ride, the
objective was to HELP find the victim, not become one and not be a glory
seeker. Like then, today I have no money, no FANCY equipment, just a talent
with an instinct with a good horse that can be used and so I have to ask if
TO HELP was my objective then and remains as such today, WHAT IS YOURS?

From the outside, the team I rode my first ride with looked for all
practical purposes like a team of misfits, no calvary group of black horses,
no "pretty" uniforms, no fancy equipmet, no priors working together, but we
were there, assessed and pooled quickly our talents, took our positions and
got the job done with the horses and equipment we each had for that calling.
And as much as some of us love rules and regulations and unity, not every
rescue or search whether or not politically or individually funded goes
according to the "book".

Karen Nesbitt
Illinois - Unaffilated Volunteer