msar-riders - [MSAR] ABOUT THAT GOOD GUYS ID.....

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] ABOUT THAT GOOD GUYS ID.....
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 15:14:06 -0500

[Deleted HTML duplicate, moved reference line to header. Karen,
sorry for the delay. -Una]

Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 22:15:25 -0500
From: "irvin lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [MSAR] GOOD GUYS ID

Irv, Since my husband and I do our own trims, we have zero investment in
farrier annually. We have found for our horses since they are mainly at
pasture all year a natural foot is best and the horses will develop a nice
tough hoof natural if allowed too
and that is tough as nails for trail etc. When I was investing in shoes, a
flat shoe would only last about 4-5 weeks due to the horses lateral gait.
Boruims would last a week longer and found that those were more of a
hinderance for the breed vs going barefoot on all terrain.

Of the few insurance companies I have used, they will not insure horses
over 15 years of age for full coverage.

As for grain, we have zero in grain bills. We feed a super grass hay and
pasture. The hot bloods I have,keep well without it and all year and in over
24 years of raising horses, never had a case of colic and people ask us how
we keep our coats so nice. Found out the pelleted feed is the root of all
evil when it comes to colic as the "goo" the pellets are stuck together with
is the main intestinal tract clogger. When you add grain, grain will get
caught in the intestial "goo" from the pellets and the number one cause of
blockages is is that the grain caught in the tract acts like a pearl and the
pearl gets larger as time progresses and that causes the blokages that cause
the colic. A lesson well learned when living and boarding my horses
nextdoor to one of the largest and most well equiped equine clinic in the
state.

Depending on the job is depending on the saddle I select. I will ride a
western equitation seat for most any job except for those requiring a rope
and a horn. Prefer the Royal King which is about twice as heavy for rope
work and pulling trees or whatever. As for competitive trail, my choice
there is my Bates Capriellli dressage seat which is light weight, has a
comfort spring tree that flexes on a diagonal and you just cant beat it for
long distance comfort. Prefer a halterbridle, gentle Columbian spoon bit

Equipment I prefer to have with me on a "business" ride would include a
cell phone and or two way radio. Rope, saddle bags with canteen, pocket
knife, hoofpick, small first aid kit, some food, water, bug repellent, suntan
lotion, some leg quilts for the horse which can double in first aid
nesecities for human, leg wraps (for horse) and ace bandages for for human.
A couple warm "ice" packs (you know the kind you break and they get cold...)I
am not a trained paramedic, but with this minimal gear,
I can then at least take care of some "minor" problems. Matches and a
flash light would be good. A flint and flares added would be better. A garden
trowell or small shovel and a few things not mentioned.

As for clothing, I prefer a good hard brimmed cowboy hat over any helmet or
bare head. Gives me shade and the brim will give the cushion in the event I
fall. (Been there and learned a good hat will do that!) Prefer a loose fit
pair of jeans with belt and
shiney "trophy" buckle. Not for bragging use, but to double for use to
signal if ever needed. I like to take a few bandanas. As for a
shirt...depends on the weather...tank top works for my hot blood in the
summer, tee shirt under a few layers in the winter and if needed a heavyier
coat. Rain gear...Clothes and above equipment modified to the occasion.
Cowboy boots are great, but occassionally a pair of muckers are better. If I
had an orange vest, probably would carry it in a saddle bag or leave it at
home unless I was told by a higher authority I must wear one. Don't forget
my sunglassses. Can't track goood without protection for my eyes.

As for a gun, don't usually carry one, though have permit to own As for
the horses, most all of mine are familiar with a live round. A few we have
trained you can lay a rifle on their backs and they are not leaving Dodge for
any reason unless asked to.

As for traffic on the "trail" my 14.2 does not mind people, deer and dogs,
motorcycles, atvs, semi-trailers, tractors and general farm equipment, and
did I mention those silly cartoon hot air balloons in the Chicago Christmas
parades, well, not a problem. Can get 50 foot of a deer on horseback, if I
had to for crowd control on the 14.2, could put the horse in a tail spin and
make room if needed. Of course a nice rear would put the assailants teeth in
their hands or hip if I had the notion unless the occassion called for the
horse to just plain sit on them.

I find the 14.2 to be the perfect size mount FOR ME, And most people not
familiar with horses are intimidated enough by that size and where she
carries here head and my size if I have not learned to duck a branch when she
does I am introuble and where most riders your height on the 17.2 are looking
to blaze a new trail or carry a chain saw!

And as for the weather, my little hot blood can tolerate 104 plus humidity
in the shade go out for a long ride and come home begging for more where most
others are panting and looking for a shade tree. Proved that on the search
we did when they called the helicopters in when it was to bloody hot to fly
them and when they called the MSAR in, we came back ready to hit the trail
for more and mind you that day my 14.2 was not in shape and no less on a mare
that was pregnant. As for cold, well, they have spent many an Illinois
winter in it! They keep fatter in the winter and run mean and
lean in the heat.

Since my horses are kept outside 100% of the year in all seasons and do
have a shelter, we find them constantly self exersized and ready to rumble
which is more than I can say for their rider but winter,spring,summer or
fall, they are in far better shape than those animals babied in a stall most
of their lives and with minimal turn out.

For grins, we have barrelraced and she will thread poles almost on a
straight line at good speeds and turn the corner on a dime with change. For
trail, she travels at a great ground covering 7-9 miles per hour which she
would do all day, but can cover 12-15 miles when in shape in less than an
hour when we decide to push it. She moves out at 27 MPH in gait.
.
Im not sure what my gear and my "fat" late forties carcass weighs, but
the 14.2 at 950 lbs carries it without an arguement and can haul a good sized
tree out by the saddle horn plus.

And yes, the 26 year old 14.2 is a bay PASO FINO. I am starting her
granddaughter a pretty black full PASO FINO mare this season and another one
I am most eager to get going that was just born this fall, a half
Peruvian/half PASO FINO filly whose has a gait and smarts that is out of this
world. I have a TENNUVIAN yearling to start, who would be great for someone
else, she is smart, even tempered, pretty and too big for what I prefer my
butt in a saddle with.

Guess you can call my horses the kind you can ride and search with all day
and if you dance after the search, you as the rider will be able to dance all
night! See ya at the MSAR Christmas Party. LET'S ALL BRING THEM BACK ALIVE!

Karen Nesbitt
TEAM SOBER 24/7
Illinois - Unaffiliated
(Copy to MSAR-riders and irv)