msar-riders - [MSAR] MSAR Expenses / GOOD GUYS ID

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] MSAR Expenses / GOOD GUYS ID
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 12:15:14 -0800

From: "Karen Nesbitt" <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
Since I raise horses I am all to familiar with the costs of raising them and from the business standpoint both in buildings, land and animals....It was more costly when I had one and had to board it out as for annual outgo. AS for $6000 annually, no. Excluding professional administered shots, I can take care of about 12 head for nearly the cost of one doing 95% of the care from feed to farrier and wound care on my own land. [...] In my neck of the woods, board is anywhere from $150 to $500 and up per month depending on the care and facility. This does not include extras such as any feed variables, shoer, vet, gear, truck trailer etc and the pain in the neck costs to travel. <

I'm in CA and boarding can greatly vary, depending on the area and type of care. I'm also a breeder (Paint horses) and with a herd of 17 (plus 4 foals due) part on pasture and part in the barn. When we hand feed (as opposed to pasture) and include farrier expenses and routine vet care doing our own shots, etc., we estimate @ $1000 per year per horse. The broodmare expenses run a bit higher.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
CEOates Ranch
www.CEOates.com