msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mounted Team size

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mounted Team size
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 08:17:18 -0700

"Vieths" <hamlweld@madisontelco.com> wrote:
>> Do most MSAR teams divide mounted members into groups of 2 or 3 anyway,
>> drilling experience in working/riding together?

We do not have fixed field teams; in trainings, we prefer to mix
and match everyone, so that we all learn to work with eachother.

Our field teams should not have less than 2 *experienced* riders
(adept in both horsemanship and MSAR). Depending on exactly who
can respond for a given mission, we structure the field teams to
maximize safety. We like to have 2 experienced riders in a team
with any newbies. Sometimes that means we field just one large
team. Sometimes that means we cannot avoid pairing slowpoke and
speed demon horses together in a team. This is very frustrating
for horses and riders, but on the whole better than mis-matching
abilities.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico