msar-riders - [MSAR] (MSAR) Mares and Stallions

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: TrooperWC@netscape.net (Warren (Trooper) Craig)
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] (MSAR) Mares and Stallions
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 23:53:58 -0500

I have read and pondered the numerous volumes of opinion and thought in these
messages on this subject. I find it interesting that this one topic
generated more traffic than anything that I've seen since coming into this
site.

If this much diverse opinion is generated by a group that is simply
conducting a theoretical discussion on the pros and cons, what will be the
outcome within an individual group actually dealing with the situation?

For this reason alone I would say that the introduction of stallions into
such a group would be inadvisable.

In all of the law enforcement mounted divisions I dealt with during my tenure
as a mounted deputy sheriff, not one advocated the use of stallions within
the departments. When dealing with the state SAR in Georgia, which was
comprised mainly of mounted commissioned officers, no volunteer groups or
individuals were allowed to ride with stallions when participating in law
enforcement administered manhunts (is that still politically correct?) or
search and rescue missions.

The troop commanders had unilateral decision-making powers about the
suitability of any horse to participate at any given time. Troops consisted
of 4-5 riders each assigned a geographic area of search. The idea was not to
exclude anyone, but rather to remove any obstacle to the tunnel focus of the
search. No horse and rider, regardless of the sex of either which could, by
their condition or actions, belay the focus of the search was allowed to
distract from the search, and were sent back to the command center.

A stallion, whatever his disposition under saddle, is an instinctive creature
by nature. He will do as he is genetically engineered to do. The same goes
for a mare or gelding in various situations. If at any given time they are
fractious or disruptive, they should be removed from the search team
operation. Excluding stallions from participation was simply a preventative
measure to forestall the probability of having to deal with the likely
occurrence of reflex social behavior which is inherent in the very nature of
stallions being stallions.

By the same token, and to be perfectly fair, I have dealt with several
geldings who were gelded late in life, 7 years or older, who failed to
realize that they were no longer stallions and behaved accordingly. They had
very short working spans as well.
--
Warren (Trooper) Craig
email: trooperwc@netscape.net

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

  • [MSAR] (MSAR) Mares and Stallions, Warren (Trooper) Craig, 03/17/2004