msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] bylaws concerning use / exclusion of stud horses

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Slybarbara@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] bylaws concerning use / exclusion of stud horses
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:22:09 EST

Replying to Sue's question: "Do most MSAR teams divide mounted members into groups of 2 or 3"... our unit trains and searches in teams of 2 or 3.

I thought Ter's response on the subject of stallions in SAR was very well expressed as an outline of uncontrolled situations which can crop up in mounted SAR operations.

Risk reduction is a primary concern of every SAR unit.  Adding to the risk factor is irresponsible if not negligent.  If an owner of a stallion wants to trailride independent of SAR missions and training, that's their choice.  However, on a mission or in training, the safety of other SAR riders and SAR horses is paramount.

In asking for list input on stallions, I am trying to set aside my own personal opinions/ convictions to see what other groups have to say on the issue.  Many thanks for the postings.

Barbara