msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Need Bids on equipment

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Need Bids on equipment
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 13:44:30 -0800

From: <pennbo@bbv.net>
> Blaze Orange saddlebags with detachable cantle bags

http://www.havesaddlewilltravel.com/catsss1.htm - interesting option to
convert saddle bags to daypacks that might be useful. Available in orange,
not indicated as blaze orange.

> Waterproof headlamps (what brand do you all use and/or recommend?)

Princeton Aurora

> Pack horse outfit- complete (who has the best rigs for the best prices?)
I'd recommend the Decker tree pack saddles for dedicated pack animals.
http://davistent.com/davisTent/index.cfm?ID=55F8C016-3614-4391-BA2545AC8052FC44
http://www.tuffenuff.org/products.htm
http://www.packsaddleshop.com/deckerps.html

One option to consider is the panniers that are designed to fit over a
Western saddle. This makes for an interesting option to ride or pack. For
example, for a litter carry someone can ride in with soft panniers stored
behind the saddle. Coming out that rider is helping carry the litter and the
panniers over the saddle can pack gear out belonging to the subject and/or
litter bearers. For a deep backcountry SAR, the mounts can pack in spike
camp supplies then be used as saddle horses for day searching. A versatile
option.

An example is on http://www.packsaddleshop.com/CatPanniers.html
Also, sometimes you can find "meat panniers" that can be adjusted for either
a pack saddle or over a Western saddle.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA