msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Uniforms that serve as SAR clothing

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@bbv.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Uniforms that serve as SAR clothing
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 18:15:58 -0800

The thing I liked about the vest from the San Diego company is that they
have a MESH back. This is a necessary piece since we frequently are
called into the desert for missions. It also had adjustment straps. Most
of the other vests I have seen are solid and may have only elastic on
the sides. Our largest member is about 6'5" and 270lbs while our
smallest is a mite over 5 foot and probably 110 soaking wet! Need to
accomodate everyone comfortably. The problem we have been having with
our regular uniform is that it was first for men only and the
manufacturer doesn't make any sized for women. So we end up with the
shoulders down to our biceps. Not a polished look or very functional.
This is the first time in many many years that we have rec'd a directive
about our uniform. The entire department seems to be tightening up their
image and we are part of that. Appealing to function before fashion
logic got us nowhere. So we will do our best to make everyone happy!!
<G>

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
Mounted Search and Rescue