msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] discussion: what to have in pack- and another question...

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "BC911" <usark9@warpdriveonline.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] discussion: what to have in pack- and another question...
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 19:17:35 -0700

Due to a past experience where I had to guide in a helicopter to evacuate an
injured rider, I always have on me, my cell phone, radio, GPS and many of
the other things that you already mentioned. A plastic slicker, one of those
$2.00 deals is compact and will serve as a shelter, if needed from, wind and
rain.
I don't carry my hoof pick on me because these are things that I figure I
would HAVE to have in case I were separated from my horse for some reason.
My horse can carry the hoof pick or any other horse items.
The cell phone and radio, (multi band) is important in case I need to call
for help. The GPS is so that I can tell them exactly where I am.
We use those family radios for training, but if you are on a real mission,
or just out for a Sunday ride, a real radio for com's is needed.
We have our Armature Radio Licenses on our team, so that we can utilize all
means of Com's. We have a state SAR frequency, but often times we need to go
to our Armature Radio frequencies to hit a repeater in the mountains where
line of sight is not working well.
In a nut shell, I try to carry things on me that I might need in case I am
separated for my horse. All of the other things, my horse can carry. It may
vary from time to time due to the climate and terrain.

B. Diane Whetsel EMT I
Search Dogs Southwest
NMTF I, CSS
911BC