msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Re: Duct tape carrying

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@bbv.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Re: Duct tape carrying
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 08:28:50 -0800

Although many New Mexico SAR units have uniform shirts etc.,
few teams report for missions in uniform.  Effectiveness,
not appearance, is the priority.
We have no choice. We MUST be in uniform and there has been some discussion about exactly what that uniform "should" be. We have been told they must all be exactly identical. Being attached to the Sheriff's department has some real benefits but it also has some restrictions that we might not otherwise have. <g> Our main concern with getting blaze orange vests is that we are in an area with lots of trees and tall scrub. We need to be highly visible- to the victims and other SAR teams as well as to the choppers. There is a company in San Diego that Jorene turned me onto and I am trying to get the team mobilized in that direction. The vests aren't cheap though!

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
Mounted Search and Rescue