msar-riders - [MSAR] What to carry, that fabulous DUCT TAPE, and Vests

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Bdurham05201@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] What to carry, that fabulous DUCT TAPE, and Vests
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 07:32:25 EST

First Equipment:

Our team is strictly volunteer, we receive no funding.  If we want something we earn the money (through fund raisers) and purchase it.  However we still have mandatory items to carry and wearing bright vests are mandatory.  Additionally we have matching shirts and ball caps.  If it is a real search or a planned training we look alike.

    Required equipment list:
        Halter
        Lead
        Bridle
       Saddle
       Saddle Pad  (some of you are saying "duh", but believe me there is always someone who
                            will try their best to be different, yes once a girl tried to come bareback!)

    Required equipment to be carried:
        Saddle and/or Cantle bag
       Fanny Pack
        Small personal log (note pad) and pencil
        Canteen/water bottle
        Work gloves
        Wire cutters
        Knife
       Hatchet
       Flashlight w/extra batteries and bulb
       25' rope
       Rain gear
        Water proof matches or lighter
        Foil or thermal blanket
        Bell
        Whistle
            "The Coordinator must approve any variations of this list"

    We always ride in a minimum or 2 members, we prefer 4.  Each member will have other items they feel necessary     to have with them, example; I always carry, those little fire starter sticks, a fencing tool, duct tape and binoculars.      So if I am on a team of 3 or 4 members, we all have our required equipment, plus extra tools or equipment we are     pretty well set.

    In addition to the personal equipment, each team is issued a Medical Pack that has a very good supply of first aid     materials, plastic marking tape, disposable camera and more.

Duct Tape:

    One member on my team made me this great "tool pouch."  It is just like many you have seen, will little slots             or pockets, I can slide my fencing tool, wire cutters, etc., into, then roll it up and tie it, keeps every thing neat and     clean.  While I was loading it for the first time I came to the duct tape, and it just was not going to fit.  But I was         determined to keep it with my other tools. Now realize it was a half roll not a full roll, I stepped on it! Squashed it         flat! It slid right into a pocket in my pouch. No unrolling and re-rolling, no loosing it's stickiness.

    Also for emergency foot protection, we have used 4X4 gauze and duct tape.  Place the 4X4's on the sole, tape         them on with the duct tape, worked great for a whole weekend.

Last bright/reflective vests:

    We found some we are really please with at www.safetygearonline.com . They have a variety of vests. We found         one with several large handy pockets, very reflective stripes, and in two colors.  An orange one for the Command         Post, OIC and yellow for everyone in the field, just under $16 each. Then sent them off to be lettered without name     on the back for just a couple dollars each.

    Hope some of you find something helpful in all this.

    Brenda Durham, Coordinator
    East Fork State Park
    Volunteer Mtd S&R