msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: Duct tape carrying

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: Duct tape carrying
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 08:50:06 -0700

Chris Pennington wrote:
>Our group is still looking for the "right" vest so that
>we can layer and still be in uniform as well as conveniently
>carry the necessary items on our bodies.

How about a compromise? Eg, the vest must be blaze orange
or some other standard color, the rest is up to the wearer.

Although many New Mexico SAR units have uniform shirts etc.,
few teams report for missions in uniform. Effectiveness,
not appearance, is the priority.

>How do the rest of you carry duct tape into the field?

I pack a small "convenience" roll of duct tape bought at a
local convenience store, which carries it in many colors.
My current roll is bright yellow. I prefer not to re-roll
duct tape into a smaller package; doing so slightly cuts
its stickiness.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse