msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Certifications

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: tm-fi <TFinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Certifications
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 12:35:43 -0500

Lakeacres1@aol.com wrote:
I am taking a poll on horse teams evaluations tests.

Do you do your testing using members from with in the team? (In house testing)
Yes and No

Our Team requires testing of both the horse and rider.  Our horse and rider evaluations are just one of many tests that our trainees must accomplish prior to becoming operational (see the MSAR-Riders files for our complete team standards).  The H&R evaluations are conducted by our senior operational teams members, however, these evaluators must meet minimum qualifications that have been established.   We have on occasion invited other SAR Teams or Government officials to observe these evaluations.   Note: we generally conducted H & R evaluations in the Spring of each year.
Do you bring in outsider to do the evaluations?
Outside evaluators are used for Search & Rescue certification skills (ie: FunSAR, SAR Tech II or III testing).  All Operational members must have completed a 40 hour FunSAR course and have passed a NASAR SAR Tech-III written test.  We are in the process of certifying our Team members with the FEMA/CERT (2-day) course, which is done with outside (FEMA certified) instructors.
How often do you require your test to be tested?
Once testing has been completed, Operational members are not retested, providing they attend 40 hours of In-Service each calendar year.  In the event an operational does not obtain the required yearly in-service training hours, they have 6 months to meet the requirement before they are down graded to Trainee Status.  After two years as a Trainee, a review of an individuals performance and training records are reviewed by our Team Commander and Training Officer for suitability for continuation on the Team.

I know this was very brief, but I hope this information is helpful.

Tomi'  (TROT-2)
TROT Search & Rescue Mounted Team
Maryland, USA