msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Carrying MSAR equipment

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Carrying MSAR equipment
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 22:53:00 -0800

I took a page out of Chris' book and tried some different search engines - mostly focused on potential vests for MSAR.

For those not as concerned with the summer heat, Cabelas has several blaze orange vests with multiple pockets and a back pouch. On www.cabelas.com/ look in Clothing (hunting) then Blaze Orange Clothing / vests.

For the budget conscious in extreme heat, a polyester mesh with 4 front pockets for only $24. http://www.armynavyshop.com/prods/rc9520.html  You'd need to add a fanny pack or lumbar pack. Some good lumbar packs are on http://www.backcountrygear.com/backpack/Daytrip.cfm (Other good backcountry gear on this site.)

Similar in design but with a back pocket, in 1000D nylon, designed for EMS use - $94.95 with price reduction for 10 or more.  http://www.safetystore.com/vest_911.asp

A seriously built canvas or cordura vest with 18 pockets - including optional radio - and a full back double pouch from Canada on http://www.forestrymall.com/Forestry%20Supplies/vests.htm Several other vest options. Worth looking at if you don't insist on mesh. They even have a version with a pack harness built into the vest to help distribute the weight.  Looks like a source to investigate for other backcountry gear, too.

I found inserts similar to ice packs that you can add to your vest or slip into pockets on http://www.workingcomfort.com/Climate_Control/Cooling_vest2.htm  Just get it wet to activate for 72 hours.

This one can lure you with customizing: http://www.cops911.com/product.asp?id=10234 Start with 2  8" bellows pockets and a 4" on the front and a "pack" on the back, plus water bottle holders ... then add other pockets, pouches, radio holders, etc. You can even add pockets on pockets. Very versatile design potential. They make reference to solid and mesh fabric, but don't specify what kind. I'm picturing a mesh vest with solid pockets as pretty versatile for those with hotter summer climates. Starts at $109. (Of course, I like the expensive one! <sigh> ) Other vests available. These guys also make tactical rope bags, duffels, holsters, etc. - a lot of it geared toward law enforcement and other emergency responders.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, US&R