msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Carrying MSAR equipment

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Slybarbara@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Carrying MSAR equipment
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 12:40:58 EST

In response to Jorene's question about vests combined with fanny packs for keeping your 24 hr items on your body (in case of accidental separation from your horse), our members use a variety of multi-pocketed vests and fanny pack arrangements.   None of the vests I saw on the hivis.biz site had enough storage space.

My own vest was custom made for about $110 out of orange cordura and mesh by a lady in Montana. I used a fishing vest which fit my 5'2 body, laid it out on flattened paper garbage bags and created a pattern with pockets drawn on.  You can see the results in a photo in our web site: www.nwhsar.org, past missions & events, back country horsemen poker ride (we were there as 1st aid responders).  2nd photo "bob & barb" shows me with the vest and other equipment representing a 24 hour pack.

There are two 6" deep pockets which run across the back, in front, two 5" wide zipper pockets which extend approx 1 1/4" out.  also 2 upper pockets and radio harness.  It ends up weighing around 10 lbs loaded and the wearer looks egg-shaped...but it isn't very hot (thanks to the mesh). If anyone wants to contact the lady who made these, I can look up her address (it was 3 years ago, so I don't know if she's still making SAR vests or not).

My unit recently purchased 20 vests which folks are buying for $70.  I'll try to get details and a description if anyone's interested.  I believe the material's cordura (hunter's orange), with soft fleece neck lining, many front pockets and one big rear pocket which takes the place of a fanny pack.

Barbara