msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Carrying MSAR equipment

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Carrying MSAR equipment
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 20:21:39 -0800

I am also interested in sources for vests. We are in the process of revamping our uniform. It is imperative that we have a vest instead of our current shirts (which can be covered up by layers!). As those of you in mountainous areas know the temps we operate in can vary as much as 30 or 40 degrees in one days time. We are following the SAR recommendations to layer our clothing but that often leaves our uniform shirt hidden. I have tried working with a bright orange plastic woven Sheriff's emergency vest but am not satisfied with the outcome. (too stiff, too unwieldy) Definitely need cloth of some kind.
Chris, that's pretty much the same reason I'm looking at the vests. My county's SAR response might be in the valley heat of 110+ or at 8000+ feet in the mountains with potential for snow. I expect all the local SAR organizations would want to keep a uniform shirt for public appearance purposes, but the right vest would mean for a call-out you could simply wear attire appropriate for the weather and layer the vest on the outside. Since I, personally, have a variety of types of responses, it sure would be handy to have a vest in the truck with the rest of my varied response gear. No reason to stop and change clothes for some kinds of immediate response - I could just slip on the vest when I arrive. But I still haven't found the right kind of breathable (not stiff) fabric vest in a safety color that also has the versatile pockets and reflective strips ... that also are in the "affordable" category so I could convince the local SAR responders it is a good idea.

The reason I'm looking for sources for the other methods of carrying gear is so I can develop a hand-out to give all members - particularly new members - so they have a place to at least start looking when they go shopping for new / replacement methods to carry their gear.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, US&R