microid - Re: [Microid] MicroID hashing algorithm(s) and normalization

microid AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter AT jabber.org>
  • To: Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name>
  • Cc: "microid AT lists.ibiblio.org" <microid AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Microid] MicroID hashing algorithm(s) and normalization
  • Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 10:05:22 -0700

Evan Prodromou wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-06-12 at 10:33 -0700, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>
>> But how do we know programmatically when we create the microid that a
>> given URL is an OpenID?
>
> You mean, how do we know that the first string that we're putting into
> the hash is an OpenID? Probably because the user said, "here is my
> OpenID", and maybe they validated it using the OpenID protocol. Or maybe
> we got it out of our database from the user_openid table.
>
> The big question is: why would we care what it is? As far as the microid
> format is concerned, it's just a string.
>
> For the publisher of the resource, they can add a microid <meta> tag for
> each ID they have for the user (email, OpenID, whatever).

I agree. So why do this?

... content='openid:sha256:foo' ...

If it's really opaque, why do we specify that it's an openid or an
i-name or anything else? Just hand over the microid and the other end
can figure out what it is (if it even cares, which I doubt).

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
Jabber Software Foundation