microid - Re: [Microid] MicroID hashing algorithm(s) and normalization

microid AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: "Eran Sandler" <eran AT yedda.com>
  • To: "'Peter Saint-Andre'" <stpeter AT jabber.org>
  • Cc: microid AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Microid] MicroID hashing algorithm(s) and normalization
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 09:45:30 +0200

HMAC needs an underlying hashing function such as SHA256 or (the already
problematic) MD5 and SHA1.
It has the additional value of a secret key but it is still as strong as the
underlying hashing function.

As far as I understand HMAC, the key is needed in both places, the place the
generates the hash and the place that creates it to verify it.
This means it will raise problems in distributing this key in a secure
manner and will make it harder for implementers of microid and validation
implementers.

I think that by using just a hashing algorithm it should be fine and make
the code a lot easier to write for implementers.
The one thing we do need to give thought to is being able to replace the
hashing algorithm when (or if) it is not considered safe for usage anymore
(like SHA1 and MD5).

For that we will need the ability to describe the hashing function used,
just like Yaniv previously suggested, i.e.:

content="sha256:openid:e5de55ef248b5f8b06d38253cac0ae725d6455fb"/>

or, more correctly presented (after discussing it with Yaniv :-) ):

content="openid:sha256:e5de55ef248b5f8b06d38253cac0ae725d6455fb"/>

So that the data being hashing will be first, and then we will have the
hashing algorithm.

Eran