microid - Re: [Microid] MicroID hashing algorithm(s) and normalization

microid AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter AT jabber.org>
  • To: yaniv AT yedda.com
  • Cc: microid AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Microid] MicroID hashing algorithm(s) and normalization
  • Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 13:34:24 -0700

<snip/>

Regarding HMAC, read this (user-friendly intro):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMAC

HMAC is not a hashing algorithm like the SHA family, it is a Message
Authentication Code (MAC) function. So HMAC uses a secret key in the MAC
generation process. For our purposes the question is: whose secret key?
I guess for microid it would be the key of the entity that generates the
microid. So if I visit yedda.com or whatever, the microid is generated
by Yedda and so Yedda uses its key in the microid generation process.
(It could also use a key provided by the other party, naturally, but in
consumer-oriented applications that may be less likely to succeed.)

Thoughts?

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre