market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Plantar Fasciitis

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Plantar Fasciitis
  • Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 18:29:44 -0500

On Apr 7, 2013, at 3:32 PM, Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net> wrote:

On Apr 7, 2013, at 3:49 PM, Kakerby wrote:

So my reliance on my $20 garden slippers and $40 muck boots as the sum total of my footwear is probably over.

I really do think this is the place to start.

Ditto what Rivka & others have suggested regarding footwear. I had a bad case of it a few years ago after a season or two of field work wearing "discount" work boots from the local big box store. 3/4 top lace up Redwings have made a huge difference for me (I did find a model that had wider sizes available that fit my short wides), although it did take a couple of months for it to clear completely. Finally wore that pair out after 6 years of heavy use, getting ready to break on another pair.

Also did an exercise recommended by a foot doctor that helped. Basically it's like a push-up against the wall. Stand a couple feet out from, but facing, the wall with your feet pointed straight ahead. Put your hands on the wall and lean your chest into the wall and hold it until you start feeling the burn in your calves. Hold for a minute or so, then push out and stand up straight. Repeat.

Can't remember off the top of my head how many reps or how many times a day, but can look for that if anybody interested.

Good luck, it can be beaten,
Laurie