market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Flea Beetle Control:Parasitic Nematodes, Steinernema feltiae

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Owsley <boulderbelt AT embarqmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Flea Beetle Control:Parasitic Nematodes, Steinernema feltiae
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 06:43:28 -0400

Allan,

it has occurred to me that you are in a drought and one thing nematodes require is damp soil for several weeks after application in order to work and since you just mentioned your well dried up I will assume you did not waste the last of your water keeping all the soil where you applied the nematodes wet and that is probably why you have seen no results-the critters have died or at best have gone dormant.

You asked what kind of nematodes I have used-Hetorhabditis bacteriophora/steinerma carpocapsae mix from Buglogical is what I usually get and when applied correctly (rainy but not flooding conditions) I have had great success. Of course being west of the Appalachians I have a different mix of pests than you do.

--
Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Eco-Farm