market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Flea Beetle Control:Parasitic Nematodes, Steinernema feltiae

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: grizzdover AT gmail.com
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Flea Beetle Control:Parasitic Nematodes, Steinernema feltiae
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 20:07:12 -0500

Hi Allen,

Sorry for the late reply.  I apply it with one of those 3 gallon Solo backpack sprayers.  I use a dilution of 1/3 lb Surround per 1 gallon of water.  I tried different dilution rates of up to 2/3 lb. per gallon and found anything more than a third pound was just a waste.  After blowing through three backpack sprayers in one season, I finally learned to COMPLETLY clean out the sprayer after Surround : ).  The stuff turns into concrete if allowed to "dry out" inside a sprayer.  This seperate "experiement" was not included in the write-up so I'm glad you asked : ).
I personally have never dipped transplants, but have friends who have.  With three weeks (or more) before I put out the solanums this season, I am going to try dipping tomorrow as the flea beetles, with the unseasonably warm weather we've had, have already made themselves apparent and found the eggplant in the greenhouse ( insert four letter words here) : ).  I mainly mechanically transplant and fear that if I dipped them (and allowed Surround to dry) before transplanting, all the handling of the plants would remove most of the barrier and I would just have to spray them again.

Ben Saunders
Farm Manager
Turtle Farm: Certified Organic Fruits, Veggies, Herbs and Transplants
Granger, Iowa
www.turtle-farm.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Turtle-Farm/200544863386129