market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Harvest Knives Recommendation?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <allan.balliett AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Harvest Knives Recommendation?
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 18:44:14 -0500

I used to use shears but I graduated to using a stainless vegetable trimming knife I found in a bunch of produce clippings Whole Foods gave us for composting one year. I use one of those easy sharpening things (First saw them among the lettuce cutters at Wendy Johnson's Green Gulch Zen produce garden) to sharpen before harvest. Usually 35 LIGHT pulls will make a blade that cuts effortlessly for one full harvest morning. (but the sharpener is in my back pocket should I need to dress the blade) -Allan in WV