market-farming - [Market-farming] cut flowers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Burke Farm <burkefarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] cut flowers
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 18:47:43 -0400

One of my favorites has been the tall red amaranths.. Elephant Head,
Opopeo, etc. In a hot season, if I transplant, I have them early and
they last forever. In a cold/ rainy season, I still have nice ones by
early fall. It's related to pigweed so it has to be easy, right??
Customers are amazed by them and think they are a huge celosia.

I'll second the tall marigolds & tithonia. I love those things. They
do better for me in a warm season, though.

Who grows early snaps in a hoophouse and can talk about how they do it
(direct seed, transplants, hortonova netting?) I have a house where I
might like to try this in the spring, they can hang out around my
trays of transplants.

I would like to grow more cut flowers.. just always seem to run out of
room in the field in the spring.

Lisa Burke
Farming Engineers LLC
central IN z5