market-farming - [Market-farming] Fall Lettuce was 'Late' Planting of fall/winter crops

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Gary Scott <twinspringsfarmva AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Fall Lettuce was 'Late' Planting of fall/winter crops
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 15:24:39 -0400

I am in Zone 7A 35 miles South of Charlottesville, Virginia; we get some 6B Fall and Winter weather from time to time. Our first frost is typically October 15th or a bit beyond, this year it feels like it is going to be about right. I grow Lettuce year-round as well, but start to kick up production in late August for Autumn and Fall and into Winter. I have begun to plant in one of my high tunnels.

This is what I am growing:
I have Summer Crisp Lettuce in the field (New Red Fire, Tropicana, Nevada, Green Star, Skyphos),  those rows will be done this week with the exception of one row of New Red Fire which is about 2 -3 more weeks from harvest. I grow all transplanted lettuce in 128s, I direct most of my lettuce in my high tunnels using a Jang Seeder that I bought last year. I also harvest my heads smaller than most growers; I want a nice mid-size head; I am paranoid about bitterness. I have found that New Red Fire in particular seems to not get bitter, I let it go to almost full size; I love Nevada. I will begin harvesting Arugula and Mustards this week that are field grown. The Arugula was transplanted 3 weeks ago from 128s, the Mustard was direct seeded 5 weeks ago.

As for other root crops, I have lots of Hakurei Turnips, a 38 day Turnip that is great as are the greens, will harvest the first ones this week. I also have Carrots and Radishes that will be ready next week. I was late direct seeding Beets and Swiss Chard, organizational deficiencies.

I have just started transplanting lettuce in one high tunnel; I have transplanted several Summer Crisp because we can have daytime temps in the low 80s through the end of October, which will push the temps in the high tunnels. I have also seeded Carrots in the same tunnel. I will begin direct seeding Mixed Lettuce this week. I have Kale and Broccoli in another tunnel that has the plastic removed. I do not plan on re-covering that tunnel until mid to late October.

I will begin adding some of the crops Richard Stewart mentioned late October early November like more Arugula, Turnips, Swiss Chard, Asian greens,etc. AS the days continue to shorten then growth slows down. However; a big advantage is having all those nice mixed of baby greens, baby lettuce, Spinach, and Mustard Greens that you do not have available during the hot Summer months.

Alan, I think your just seeing the shorter days slowing the growth of your lettuce. The gradual shortening of the days is not that apparent until we hit early October IMO, but we have already lost more real daylight time that it appears.

Gary Scott
Twin Springs Farm
Shipman, VA
--
Gary Scott
Twin Springs Farm

Live like you will die tomorrow… farm like you will live forever !